101 Generator is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
If there is a water pool pump in your house, then often you have to face a common problem that can we use an extension cord for our pool?
Today we are here to present you with a detailed review to solve this problem. You will be surprised to know that using the best extension cord for pool pump is not harmful. People are just not aware of what size extension cord they need for their pool.
Ideal Extension Cords for Pool Pumps
It’s crucial to pick a cord that is the robust duty and intended for outdoor use when using an extension cord with your pool pump. This kind of cord will have the appropriate gauge to handle the electrical current required by the pump motor as well as the right insulation to safeguard against moisture and weather conditions.
Here are some of the best extension cords for pool pumps:
- 10/3 gauge cord with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)
- 12/3 gauge cord with a GFCI
- 14/3 gauge cord with a GFCI
These extension cords were created specifically for outdoor use and can support the electrical requirements of a pool pump.
Additionally, they have a GFCI, which will automatically turn off the power in the event of a ground fault, increasing your family’s safety.
- Potential Dangers of Using the Wrong Type of Cord
Using the wrong type of extension cord can result in several dangers, including:
- Overloading the cord and causing a fire hazard
- Damaging the pool pump motor
- Electrocution due to improper insulation
To prevent these risks, it’s critical to select the proper extension cord for your pool pump. Never use an interior extension cord because it was not made to support the needs of an outdoor pool pump. Additionally, be careful not to extend an extension cord beyond the recommended length since this could harm your pool’s equipment.
Now, we will explain the things you need to know for choosing an extension cord.
- Distance from your electric outlet to the pool pump
- How much AWG wire should be used in the extension cord?
- How many amps does your pool pump motor run on?
Distance From Your Electric Outlet to The Pool Pump
What you need to know when choosing an extension cord is how far is it from our electric outlet to the pool pump.
Commonly 25 feet or 30 feet extension cords are available in the market but you need a longer extension lead for your pool pump. Therefore, we would urge you to get the extension cord reel 100 ft (30..48 m) #12 wire gauge for your use. It will be very good and useful for you.
This is a very common mistake that people sometimes overlook. Knowing the distance from the pool pump to the electric outlet will help you decide how many feet and what American Wire Guage of wire you need. The distance from the “pump” to the electricity outlet should be 50 feet to 100 feet.
A distance of fewer than 50 feet is acceptable, but a distance of more than 100 feet affects the pump’s efficiency. Increasing the distance decreases the voltages and affects the pump’s ability to operate.
Which Size AWG Wire Should be Used In the Extension Cord?
In order to choose a wire size, you need to know how many amps your pump runs on. Each pump has its amperage and voltage rating on the label so you can read it easily.
A smaller size pool pump draws a load of 10 to 15 AMPS which helps it produce more power. To use higher voltage and ampere we need 10AWG or 12AWG wire. Twelve American wire Guage (AWG) wire extension cord is very suitable for our pool pump. A small pool pump has a 1 hp motor for which 12 gauge wire size is ideal.
But if your pool is larger in size or saltwater, then you will need 10 AWG wires. Sometimes you may need to run something else along with the pool pump for your own use, like charging a mobile phone or something. That’s why we recommend a #10 wire gauge.
How Many Amperes Does Your Pool Pump Motor Run On
Most pool pumps use anywhere from 10 amps to 50 amps. Below are the details of some common pool equipment, you can read them and choose the cheap extension cord for you.
- 240v, 10amps for the pool pump
- Chlorinator for saltwater: 240v, approximately 5-8 amps
- The pool heat pump needs 240 volts and 50 amps.
- Pool lights: every 12 volts, 3.5 watts
- Hot tub self-contained: 240 volts, 50 amps
- 220v, 5-7 amps OR 110v, 11–13 amps for automatic pool covers
Before Choosing the Best Extension Cord for Pool Pump for your pool pump, you should also consider the following factors:
The size of the extension cord:
Make sure the wire gauge is adequate to handle the pump’s current draw and that the extension cable is rated for the power the pump consumes.
Make sure the extension cord is shielded against moisture and water and is rated for usage in wet or damp locations.
Avoid exceeding the extension cord’s maximum load rating because doing so could cause overheating and potentially dangerous situations.
Best Extension Cord for Pool Pump
GoGreen Power (GG-14050) 12/3 50′:
GoGreen Power Outdoor Extension Cord in orange color, 50 feet long is a very strong extension cord. Our experts have selected it specifically for your pool pump. It can easily handle electricity loads up to 15 amperes.
Its manufacturing is very elegant. It is a great choice for outdoor accessories. The 50-foot extension cord is a sturdy one. Even after being exposed to the sun for a long time, it is durable, moisture-resistant, and abrasion-resistant! It has a male-to-female connector that easily connects to your pool pump and electrical outlet.
As everyone knows that electricity is dangerous for everyone and safety precautions are the first priority in any electrical work, so this SJTW Outdoor Extension Cord features a light indicator to indicate this. Which shows there is a current in your cord.
This GoGreen Power (GG-14050) 12/3 50 ft. extension cord is perfect for small-sized pool pumps as it can easily run any heavy-duty equipment up to 1875 watts so it is compatible with 1500-watt pool pumps. It is a good choice.
- Voltage: 125 Volts
- Input Current: 15 Amps
- Item Weight: 7.1 pounds
- 12/3 SJTW extension cord
- Connector: Male-to-Female
- Plug Extension Cord with Molding
- Reflects the heat of the sun.
- 50 Foot wire
- #12 wire gauge no waste their voltages
- No Safety Breaker
Clear Power 25 ft 12/3 SJEOW TPE Rubber Heavy Duty Extension Cord:
For a range of indoor and outdoor applications, Clear Power’s 25 ft 12/3 SJEOW TPE Rubber Heavy Duty Extension Cord is a dependable and tough extension cord. Its 25-foot length and #12 gauge make it appropriate for use with high-power tools and appliances.
The cord is made of SJEOW TPE rubber, which is perfect for usage in challenging or hostile conditions because it is resistant to abrasion, moisture, oil, and UV radiation. As a result of the cord’s UL listing, you may be sure that it has been examined and found to be safe.
As long as it fits the power specifications of the pump and is handled in a safe and proper manner, the Clear Power SJEOW TPE Rubber Heavy Duty Extension Cord can be utilized for a pool pump.
We’ll also let you know that it’s crucial to remember that extension cords should never be used as a long-term wiring solution. This Clear Power SJEOW TPE Rubber Heavy Duty Extension cord is ideal if there isn’t enough space between the outlet and the pool pump. Its length of 25′ makes it highly practical, and the extension cord functions flawlessly without wasting any voltage.
- Length: 25 feet
- Gauge: #12 wire gauge
- Rating: 15 amps, 125 volts, 1875 watts
- Voltage: 600V
- Material: SJEOW TPE rubber
- Plug type: 3-prong grounded
The Clear Power SJEOW TPE Rubber Heavy Duty Extension Cord has a heavy-duty construction that can resist tough situations and is made to be flexible and long-lasting. It may be used in a variety of weather circumstances because of its temperature range of -40°F to +140°F (-40°C to +60°C).
- The cord is made of SJEOW TPE rubber, which is perfect for usage in challenging or hostile conditions because it is resistant to abrasion, moisture, oil, and UV radiation.
- The cord is made to work with power tools and appliances.
- The cord has been examined and found to comply with safety requirements, making it safe for usage.
- The cord’s flexibility makes it simple to use in a range of water pool pumps and to maneuver.
- The 25-foot length of the cord might not be appropriate for all uses. If you require a longer cord, you might need to use a different kind of cord or buy more extension cords.
- Depending on the length and wire gauge, the cord could be heavy and challenging to handle.
15-ft 12/3 Heavy Duty Lighted SJTW Indoor / Outdoor Yellow Extension Cord:
If you need the best extension cord for pool pumps in 2023, our excellent electricians have selected a 15ft extension cord for you. For this, you need to make sure that there is an electrical socket near your pool pump for a cord that is short enough to be used.
Designed for a variety of indoor and outdoor uses, the 15′ 12/3 Heavy Duty Lighted SJTW Indoor / Outdoor Extension Cord is a dependable and sturdy extension cord. Its 15-foot length and 12 gauge wire make it appropriate for use with high-power tools and appliances. The SJTW (service junior thermoplastic with wire) brand produced this cord.
This cord’s 12-gauge wire is very strong for all your outdoor gear. The yellow jacket adds strength Even if your pump is equipped with a heavy motor, it may not interfere with its functioning.
- Length: 15 feet
- Gauge: #12 wire gauge (2,053mm)
- Rating: 15 amps, 125 volts, 1875 watts
- Voltage: 600V
- Temperature range: -40°F to 130°F
- Molded NEMA 5-15 (US) plugs that are unbreakable
- Durable construction: The cord is made of SJTW (service junior thermoplastic with wire) material, which is appropriate for usage in challenging or hostile conditions since it is resistant to abrasion, moisture, oil, and UV radiation.
- Flexible: The cord is flexible.
- Length: The cord’s length of 15 feet might not be appropriate for all uses. If you require a longer cord, you might need to use a different kind of cord or buy more extension cords.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Best Extension Cord for Pool Pump
What Gauge Wire Do I Need For The Pool Pump?
The size of the pump, the required length of the wire, and the system voltage will all affect the gauge of wire you want for a pool pump. Generally speaking, it is advised to utilize a wire with a gauge appropriate for the system’s current carrying capacity and voltage drop.
A #12 or #14 wire gauge is normally enough for runs up to 50 feet for a basic 115/230V pool pump. To make sure that the wire can withstand the current without overheating on longer lengths, a bigger gauge wire could be required.
Conclusion: Best Extension Cord for Pool Pump
To sum up, you can use an extension cable for your pool pump, but it’s important to use the proper kind of wire to ensure safety and the longevity of your pool equipment. The finest extension cables to use with pool pumps are those with ground fault circuit interrupters, heavy-duty design, and outdoor use. By following these guidelines, you can benefit from a safe and dependable pool system for many years.